Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Lame

I had a couple days to luxuriate in the happy news of last week before some minor issues ensued.   On Monday I started developing gastrointestinal issues, which became increasingly worse over the next couple of days.  I was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday so that they could do an endoscopy and flexoscopy to get biopsies to test for graft vs host disease (GVHD).  In the meantime, a rash developed on my hands and arms, which is also a possible indicator of GVHD.  So they took two skin biopsies too.

The worst part of this experience really was not being able to eat.  I was told no food or water from Wednesday evening until my procedure on Thursday.  I was wheeled down to Endoscopy around 3:30pm, only be told that it could not happen that day because I hadn't been prepped by the nurse.  So I thought, "Great, I'll go have a hamburger now."  No such luck -- I had been ordered to a clear liquid diet.  So after my dinner of chicken broth and lime jello, I had to fast again for the procedure again the next day.  Now, as I write this, I am happy chomping away on Grammy's Chex Mix*.

The test results won't be available until later next week, so due to the extreme nature of both issues, the doctor has started me on Prednisone.  I took my first dose yesterday and there is already a very noticeable improvement.  So, I'll be going home this afternoon and continue the steroid until I go to clinic next week.  The doctor did not want to start a steroid right away, without scientific evidence of GVHD, because it can also inhibit the new immune system from fighting against the lymphoma.  But because it will take so long for the results (because of the holiday), he really had no choice.  And this clinical evidence really points to GVHD.  

That's it for now!  Happy Holidays!

*Grammy's Chex Mix Recipe
Combine in open roaster:  (aluminum, disposable turkey pan works well.)
     1 can peanuts                 
2 cups wheat chex
     2 cups pretzels               2 cups corn chex
     2 cups kix                      2 cups goldfish
     2 cups cheerios
Melt together:
     3/4 cup butter                         1 tsp. garlic salt
     1 T. worcestershire sauce          1 tsp. celery salt
Pour liquid ingredients over the dry mix...stirring as you pour.  Crisp 1 hour at 225, stirring occasionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment