Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Fumble

I'm so annoyed. Last Thursday, I accidentally tripped over a curb and fell on my side onto cement. It wasn't immediately obvious, but I actually injured my hip quite severely. After spending 8 hours at the ER on Saturday, I learned that nothing was broken and I had no clots, but I was experiencing extreme pain from an 8cm  hematoma in my hip region.  I left with some strong pain meds and the hope that I was on the road to recovery.

As of today (Tuesday), the pain has not improved and the meds have only somewhat helped. I am awake every 30 mins or so at night because of the pain, yet so tired at the same time because of the medication!  I came to the hem/onc clinic today for a blood count check, where they discovered that my hematocrit (red blood cell) count had dropped to 19. (Normal range starts at 28+). The drop is due to the bleeding in my hip area. So I am receiving a transfusion today, as well as tomorrow, to bring this up. Transfusions really are no big deal except that they take a couple hours to match the blood plus 4 hours to receive it, so it'll be long days here at UCSF.  So, the combination of the transfusions and a temporary stop on my blood thinner should improve the situation. It's an acute situation, and will be fixed, but annoying (especially that I did this to myself) in the meantime!  While I'm not at UCSF, I'll be lying around at home, groggy from the meds!!


No comments:

Post a Comment