Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Very Literal Labor Day Weekend

Today we had a meeting with the doctor and nurse coordinator to review the details of the transplant and give consent.  Jonathan and I were there and Kathy skyped in.  I'll be admitted on August 28th after having some final tests and a physical that morning to make sure I don't have any (other) kinds of illness.  As soon as I'm admitted (or, I should say on the day I'm admitted), I'll have a Hickman line placed.  I'll be under conscious sedation, which is great.  The next morning I'll begin the first of 5 days of Flu/Mel chemotherapy.  It's referred to as a "mini" conditioning because it is not completely myeloablative, so the side effects shouldn't be terrible.

Leah will begin receiving Neupogen shots on August 31st and her stem cells will be harvested on September 4th.  I'll then receive her stem cells on September 5th.  Remember that date, it will be my new second birthday!  I'll have Leah's DNA.  We could come up with a sensational Dateline story in the future, as we could apparently really complicate a criminal investigation.  My DNA in my blood will match Leah's, but the DNA in the rest of my cells will be the old "stuff."  ha!

Anyway, on to the most important stuff.  Nicholas' divine steri strips from his forehead came off today. Just a little bruise remains.
Before (sporting his new Giants Roos!)
After

No comments:

Post a Comment