Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Hurry Up Offense

It's been a long time since I've written.  There really hasn't been much of interest to write about (until recently).  I feel like all I am doing is sleeping, going to the doctor, and taking pills!

On Nov. 8th I had a PET Scan.  The doctor wanted to see if there was any lymphoma activity in my body post-transplant.  Normally, this is done around Day +100.  For me, it was at Day +29 because of the aggressive nature of my disease.  And aggressive it is.  There is one new area of activity and another existing area that did not disappear.  The hope, of course, was that the chemo prior to transplant would eradicate any such activity and it would stay dormant until my new immune system is ramped up enough to fight (right now my immune system is suppressed in order to avoid early graft-vs-host disease, aka rejection).  So, a bit of disappointment on Friday when we found out the news.

I immediately received an infusion of Brentuximab (SGN-35), which is the last drug I had before transplant.  This is the new antibody drug that attaches to malignant cells and theoretically kills them.  I had mixed results before so we are hoping that it works on these newly developed areas, just to keep them at bay until my new cells can launch their battle!

The next day, on Saturday, I developed some serious(ly annoying) gastrointestinal issues.  By Sunday I decided I needed to see a doctor, so we ended up at the ER.  They gave me some fluids and I had a battery of tests.  Today I was informed that I have C. Diff, an intestinal disease that I also had in the hospital (very common to get in the hospital and hard to get rid of).  So I have added another pill to my stock.

Nicholas is still great (and a genius).  He loves to climb on anything he can get his little feet on and Daddy has recently taught him Tarzan-type chest pounding.

Nicholas is happy about this unusually warm day in SF!

1 comment:

  1. Nicholas gets cuter every time I see a photo of him! Hoping you get rid of the C Diff soon (Nannie recently had a bout with it). You're always in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo Jules

    ReplyDelete