Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Photo-wha?

I received the results of my skin biopsy today.  It is indeed GVHD!  This is more good than bad.  I'm "glad" I didn't have yet another biopsy just to reveal eczema.  It also shows that the graft is definitely fighting!  The skin rash isn't a huge concern for my medical team right now (although, I had quite liked being able to go out without makeup if that's what I felt like, and now I feel the need to cover up a bit).  But, they do have to treat it and don't really want to increase my steroid or immunosuppressants in order to keep it under control (those two medications would also affect the graft-vs-lymphoma and not allow the new cells to assault the disease to its full potential).  So, I'll start another new med.

There was also discussion today of photopheresis, a therapy in which my blood is taken out of my body, exposed to UV radiation, and then re-infused.  Sounds fun!  The benefit for me is that my immune system is not suppressed for photopheresis, thereby allowing the graft to keep up the good fight.  The downsides....it's a 3-4 hour weekly treatment, I'd possibly need another central line inserted in my chest (blech), and the usual nausea.  The "queue" to get access to the photopheresis machine is quite lengthy though, so there isn't even availability til September-ish.  Far enough away for me to not stress out about it right now.  But, the conversation about it today really drove home the reminder that although I may be considered "in remission," my job these days really still is to just get healthy!!

On to a more exciting topic....the cookies I made yesterday!  They are M&M cookies from the averiecooks blog.  A one-bowl-recipe and extremely easy to whip up.  The secret ingredient is cornstarch!  And oh are they are delish....chewy and thick!  I found a new assortment of M&M colors that make them look extra appealing!  Nicholas brought them to a playdate today and the kids enjoyed the new colors :)

No comments:

Post a Comment