Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Erase Me


October 10, 2012.  My second birthday.  It's real.

This morning around 11:30am I began receiving the infusion of Leah's stem cells.  It was totally anti-climactic and I actually slept through a large portion of the "main event."  I've been so exhausted all day, probably a combination of the emotions of this day plus medication, that I have been asleep more than awake for this birthday.  Just like a newborn!

Today is momentous.  It's Day 0 of my new normal, and the first step towards a normal I once knew.  It was also Grammy's one-and-only birthday.  I'll be happy to celebrate it with her once again for many, many years.  And with Leah.....although I cannot imagine the emotions for her of this experience of ultimate charity, I wonder if it is anything like those that I felt on Nicholas' birthday? :)  There are no words to say thank you, just...none.

In addition to Leah, Freddy, and my mom, Jonathan made a break from the sick house (which is now much, much improved) and came to the hospital to support and celebrate.


A mint-chip cake from Bi-Rite Creamery to celebrate!  Then, back to sleep :)
So now I must go for what seems like my 32nd evaluation of my vitals today, then I'm sure I'll be back to la-la land!

4 comments:

  1. There are many of us thanking Leah for her gift to our friend. We couldn't be more grateful. Cheers to many, many new birthdays to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful...just every part of this post. You are amazing, Cait, and we're all lucky to have you in our lives! We are all so thankful for Leah and the rest of the Birk/Mullinix clan! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could and never will be erased. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, completely amazing. Love all the smiles! Happy "New" Birthday!

    ReplyDelete