Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Kickoff

It's beginning to finally feel real.....I am currently blogging from a bed at UCSF Medical Center!  Today was a long one.  Lots of waiting.  And a hot one.  UCSF is an "historic" place, and many of the buildings are not equipped with modern air conditioning!   For real!!

The day began at 8am with bloodwork followed by an appointment with the NP.  From 10-12:30 we waited to check in to the hospital (and also waited to find out if they'd even have a bed for me today!), from 12:30-2:45 we waited for my Hickman Catheter to be placed, and from then until 5pm, Kathy and Jonathan waited for me to come out of the procedure!  Oh and I couldn't even pass the time eating since I was banned after 7am (and Kathy very graciously followed suit).  
Procedure room (with A/C)
Cheeeese (would be delicious, I am starving)





















Shiny New Triple Lumen Hickman Catheter

I needed a catheter in my chest because my existing port didn't offer enough access points for the transplant.  This will remain for a few months and allows direct access to the veins, so I won't have to continuously be stuck with needles!  Hooray!
Finally, we came up to the 11th floor around 5:30pm and lounged in the solarium while my room was being cleaned.  Jonathan ran across the street and brought me the meal of my choosing!  

Here is a snapshot of my private, AIR-CONDITIONED room right after we dropped some of my things.  It is much better than I had anticipated and should become homier looking soon.  (apparently I get air conditioning because my room has a special ventilation system for transplant patients)

4 comments:

  1. room looks great!! thanks for the update!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you are setting in:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza sounds pretty good right now! Room looks great too!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete